On the May 16 season finale of CBS’s Hawaii Five-0, it was revealed that Wo Fat controlled the Governor of Hawaii. That means he controlled the state. Now, criminal masterminds like to try to take over the world, or least signficant parts of it. But they fail. The revamped Wo Fat, it appears, has taken more territory than his mastermind colleagues. Therefore, he must be the No. 1 criminal mastermind of all time.
You scoff? Well, consider the following:
– Original Wo Fat. He tried to take over China (in the Nine Dragons episode of the original Hawaii Five-O). FAIL. He tried to develop a Star Wars-style weapon system two years before the Reagan administration announced such a project in the original Five-O’s final episode. He couldn’t even recognize that Steve McGarrett 1.0 was right in front of him wearing a fake wig and goatee. BIG FAIL.
– Ernst Stavro Blofeld and SPECTRE. He tried to “inaugurate a little war” between the U.S. and Soviet Union so China could take over (You Only Live Twice). He tried to conduct an auction where nuclear supremecy would go to the highest bidder (Diamonds Are Forever). FAIL.
– Karl Stromberg (The Spy Who Loved Me) and Hugo Drax (Moonraker), each tried to kill off the world’s population and they would take over. FAIL.
– Franz Sanchez (Licence to Kill) had off the president of Isthmus to leave him alone. You could argue he had de facto control of the country except he got killed off by the end of the movie. FAIL.
– GALAXY tried to take over the world with a weather-controlling maching (Our Man Flint). FAIL.
– BIGO tried to take over the world in Matt Helm movies. FAIL.
– Thrush tried to take over the world in The Man From U.N.C.L.E. on multiple occasions. FAIL.
– KAOS tried to take over the world multiple times on Get Smart. FAIL.
Clearly, Wo Fat 2.0 is on to something. Instead of a grand goal (taking over the world, taking over a country), he has broken it down to smaller, accomplishable parts. Of course, he did kill the Governor in the May 16 episode, so it’s not entirely clear his control over the state of Hawaii will continue. Still, being an accomplished criminal mastermind, he may have a Plan B. The beauty of Wo Fat’s situation is *nobody knows he has control of Hawaii* except Steve McGarrett 2.0. And McGarrett (Alex O’Loughlin) is in jail for the Governor’s murder.
Also, Wo Fat didn’t take over just any state. He took over “our extended finger into the Pacific (Ocean),” as the Governor (that is the original Governor from the original Five-O pilot, played by Lew Ayres) put it. That’s not to be confused with the Governor (Jean Smart) who was under Wo Fat’s control in the new Five-0
This is even more impressive because Wo Fat 2.0 (Mark Dacascos) have probably has *less than 20 minutes of screen time* all season long.
It should be noted that Robert Short and Danny Biederman, who tried to develop a Man From U.N.C.L.E. movie in the early 1980s, had a storyline where Thrush had taken over the world (economically) but nobody knew it. That project, though, never saw the light of day, so it doesn’t count.
Congrats, Wo Fat 2.0.
Filed under: James Bond Films, The Other Spies | Tagged: Alex Dacascos, Alex O'Loughlin, BIGO, CBS, Danny Biederman, Diamonds Are Forever, Ernst Stavro Blofeld, GALAXY, Get Smart, Hawaii Five-0, Hawaii Five-0 season finale, Hawaii Five-O, James Bond Films, Jean Smart, KAOS, Lew Ayres, Matt Helm, Moonraker, Our Man Flint, Robert Short, SPECTRE, The Man From U.N.C.L.E, The Other Spies, The Spy Who Loved Me, Thrush, TV spy shows, Wo Fat, Wo Fat 2.0, Wo Fat 2.0 now No. 1 criminal mastermind, You Only Live Twice | Leave a comment »