Bart Layton he wasn’t ready to direct Bond 25

British director Bart Layton, while in Rome last week promoting a film, got asked about Bond 25. He said he turned down the project.

“I was very flattered to be asked about the Bond film,” he said. “For me, it’s too big at this point. I don’t feel ready.”

Layton said he’d consider doing a Bond film “in the future.” Also, he said, “It’s time for a re-invention. I think it’s time to modernize that franchise in an interesting way. It would be exciting to be part of that.The List

Variety reported in early September that Layton was among directors being considered after Danny Boyle exited the project. Layton told a British website called  on Sept. 14 there had been discussions but he didn’t elaborate. Eon Productions said on Sept. 20 that Cary Joji Fukunaga would be Bond 25’s director.

A website called Talky! Media posted a video of Layton. The Bond 25 comments begin around the 2:25 mark.