Agent 007 is officially out of limbo. Bond 23 has a Nov. 9, 2012 release date and production of the movie will start late this year, Eon Productions and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. said in an e-mailed release on Jan. 11.
The production company and studio, the latter fresh out of bankruptcy court, confirmed Daniel Craig is returning and Sam Mendes is directing. One tidbit of news: the script will be by Neal Purvis, Robert Wade and John Logan.
Logan hadn’t been mentioned previously. Eon’s last word on the story was when it said Purvis and Wade would collaborate with Peter Morgan, but Morgan left the project without actually writing a script (while gabbing plenty about how he never really cared for the Bond character).
Logan, a 49-year-old, Chicago-born screenwriter, has credits including 2007′s Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street and 2000′s Gladiator.
No title was disclosed. Still, the release confirmed the obvious, especially concerning Mendes, whose ex-wife Kate Winslet had publicly confirmed the director was working on the film. Eon had suspended Bond 23 “indefinitely” last year because of MGM’s financial ills, which climaxed with with its trip to bankruptcy court where creditors exchanged debt for equity in the studio.
MGM also tipped its hand in bankruptcy court filings that it wanted Bond 23 to come out in November 2012. It remains whether the other part of the studio’s 007 plan — that Bond movies resume coming out every other year — comes to pass.
Filed under: James Bond Films Tagged: | Bond 23, Bond 23 to come out in November 2012?, Daniel Craig, Eon Productions, James Bond Films, John Logan, Kate Winslet, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, MGM's financial troubles putting Bond 23 in limbo, Neal Purvis, Peter Morgan, Robert Wade, Sam Mendes, Sam Mendes to reunite with Daniel Craig?